We use this page to advertise positions that we have available, but we are always keen to hear from highly motivated individuals, at any time, who feel that they have valuable skills and knowledge to bring to our existing team.
Trainee Acoustic Technician
Trainee Acoustic Technician (Full training given)
35 hours per week
Salary: £26,000.00 pa
The Woolly Shepherd is a family run, award winning, acoustic panel manufacturer which supplies sustainable acoustic solutions made from natural fibres.
We now have an exciting opening for a Trainee Acoustic Technician to join the team. We will provide all training to someone who is proactive, flexible and adaptable and wants to join an unusual profession in an established and growing business.
Reporting to the Directors and working with a Technician, you will:
• Respond to customers regarding their acoustic needs and to assess whether a quote can be prepared remotely or will need a site visit,
• Visit customer sites to take acoustic and room measurements using a variety of electronic equipment,
• Risk assess the area where the product is to be installed and identify any potential problems for the installation team,
• Use remote, online systems to record information, write up detailed reports and provide accurate and timely quotations for customers,
• Assist in the planning and organisation of product installations and liaise with all interested parties to ensure work is completed to a high standard and to deadline.
You will also be working alongside the production team and installers, this is a varied, sometimes hands-on role for someone interested in working with sustainable products and delivering top quality customer service.
As a small company, we require flexibility and in return we offer great working conditions, a competitive salary and earned responsibility. If you have the skills to help us grow, then this is a great career option for you.
NB this job requires you to travel to client’s sites taking with you and then setting up, all the equipment needed to take various measurements and submit online information.
• Educated to ‘A’ level standard or equivalent,
• The ability to work comfortably with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, Drop Box and Macs
• Excellent communication skills; face to face, telephone, email, text, video conference calls etc.
• Strong attention to detail,
• Strong customer service skills,
• Ability to work flexibly and manage your own time effectively and to work to deadlines,
• Ability to work collaboratively and independently,
• Full clean driving licence and car insurance for business use.
Applicants do not need to have any prior room acoustics experience as full training will be given, but previous experience in reverberation time measurement and room acoustics would be an advantage, as would design and layout skills.
Benefits include 28 days annual leave, free onsite parking, flexible working hours, access to kitchen facilities with free tea, coffee and biscuits.
Please send a CV and no more than one-page covering letter explaining what excites you about this role and what skills, knowledge and experience you can bring.
Send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18/08/2023. We are an equal opportunity’s employer championing sustainability for all. We welcome applications from across the community.
Trainee Cloud Maker (manufacturer of acoustic absorbers)
Due to increased demand, both nationally and internationally, we are looking to recruit trainee cloud makers (acoustic absorber makers), with a view to full or part time employment.
Cloud-makers are highly skilled manual workers, following precise patterns and methods to produce top quality technical products to a specific timetable. This requires energy, a professional attitude to work and a commitment to high standards. In return, we offer a positive, open and supportive work environment with fair pay and flexibility.
You will be expected to :
● Learn through a blend of spoken, visual, written and hands-on training.
● Cut wool felts – the felts are on a large roll and cut on a workshop floor using either hand shears or a repeating knife (full training given).
● Cut soft wood fibre boards – some of these are cut on a bench using a jigsaw, some are cut on the workshop floor using a repeating knife (full training given).
● Assemble absorbers – this is done at a work station/table and involves the use a variety of hand tools including hand shears, crimping tools, wire cutters, felting needles and occasionally a pneumatic stapler.
● Pack absorbers – you will learn to visually and physically assess colleague’s work, cut packaging material and wrap products, as well as packing products into cardboard boxes and palletising these ready for collection.
● As and when required, you will also be asked to help, on occasion, with the unloading of 20kg – 25kg rolls of felt and storing them on warehouse shelving. This is done with full regard to health and safety and rolls are always carried by two people.
Essential skills include:
● An ability to integrate with and work as part of, a small and diverse team of very focused people.
● An adaptability and willingness to take on new challenges when required.
● An ability to work to tight deadlines and to perform to a consistent high standard under pressure
● An ability to produce very neat and precisely finished work.
● Good punctuality.
● Consistently strong manual skills skills required to perform all aspects of the required work (cutting, assembling, finishing and packing) to an equally high standard.
The initial training period will be four weeks, for full time workers and up to twelve weeks for part time workers. After this, an assessment will be made. Further progression will depend on the trainee’s work reaching a sufficiently high standard.
Prior to starting an initial training period with us, you will first be invited to attend an introductory, three hour, taster session at our workshop, in Wellington. This will enable you to get a feel for the type of work you would be expected to carry out and the environment in which you would be expected to work.
• Salary: TBC
• Where: Wellington, Somerset
• Period: One year initial contract