We offer two types of acoustic survey, both designed to help us establish whether our products are the right solution for your problem and if they are, how much product is needed and where.
On Site Acoustic Survey. (Request an on-site survey quotation)
A full on-site acoustic survey is always our preferred option as this allows us to take a precise reverberation time measurement of the room(s) in question and allows the engineer to experience the acoustic of the room for themselves.
The importance of this should never be underestimated, for even where the customer might simply want to achieve an improvement, having an accurate starting point can save unnecessary expense.
Even though it is generally only educational and office environments where strict target reverberation times are required, the value of this approach is not diminished in other environments as there are numerous advantages to this assessment method.
- You can be sure that you won’t be paying for any absorption that you didn’t actually need – no matter how good the remote assessment method, you always run the risk that the model used has either under or over specified the absorption.
- No matter how good the information you send us about your room, there is no replacement for us coming to site and hearing/seeing the problems for ourselves. Site visits allow us to understand the space, its users and the practicalities of applying treatment where it will be most effective.
- If we know the precise, current, reverberation time of your room then we can easily target a time that best suits the use of your room and in the most demanding environments, target a time that represents a compromise between competing requirements such as an environment where choral recitals take place, but good speech intelligibility is still required.
Our on site acoustic survey is carried out in accordance with the guidelines set out in British Standard 3382-2:2008, entitled ‘Acoustics – Measurement of room acoustic parameters – Part 2: Reverberation time in ordinary rooms’, and in the Association of Noise Consultants ‘Good Practice Guide – Acoustic Testing of Schools’.
NTi XL2 Acoustic Analyser with M2230 microphone, certified Class 1, and calibrated to traceable national standards.
Once our engineer has finished taking acoustic measurements and gathered all of the information that they need, they will review their findings, prepare a report and provide you with a quotation for any products that they feel will be beneficial to improving your acoustic environment.
Our report focuses entirely on the acoustic environment within a room, and no assessment is made with regard to sound transmission (passage of sound from room to room).
Therefore the following elements will be considered:
- The cubic volume and proportions of the building;
- Architectural form;
- Surface finishes;
- Occupants’ behaviour in response to the room acoustics;
- Needs of people using the space.
The on-site survey is charged according to the time taken for us to travel to you, conduct the survey, analyse your data and produce the resulting report.
Our engineer’s time, travelling to you, undertaking the survey and writing up your report, is charged at £40/hr. In addition to this, we also make a charge for the cost of the engineer’s travel. This will be either 45p/mile for car travel or the price of the tickets etc, if we are able to use public transport.
As we are aware that onsite surveys can seem quite expensive, as an incentive to adopt this route, we will refund 50% of the hourly professional fee (not the travel cost) if you go on to place an order with us, based on the recommendations of the survey report.
Please note, our onsite survey is purely an acoustic investigation and we may well still require information from you relating to the construction of your ceiling and walls.
Please email us if you wish to book a survey, or simply to learn more about this service. Contact us
Please note an on site survey will require the space in question to be empty of all other people during the actual reverberation time measurements.
Remote Assessment Acoustic Survey
For our remote survey we do not accept any payment for ourselves but we do ask that you make a minimum donation of £25.00 to our chosen charity.
This year, we are supporting the superb work of ‘Chloe’s and Sophie’s Special Ears Fund’ a charity that is very close to our hearts.
Please use this new link your make your donation
For remote surveys please use our new Remote Survey Form https://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/remote-survey-form or email us the following details:
- Length and width, in metres, of the spaces/rooms you wish to
- Height of walls, in metres, from the floor to eaves/wall plate.
- Highest point of the ceiling, if not
- Construction of walls i.e. solid or cavity, empty or insulated cavity.
- Construction of floor e. solid, suspended.
- Construction of ceiling i.e. frame or solid (masonry).
- Surface finishes of the floor, walls and ceiling.
- Total glazing – please list windows/glazed doors, with dimensions and glazing type (single/double), and any heavy duty glazed walls/facades.
- Presence of any significant soft furnishings such as sofas etc
- Presence of any unusual features such as large open fire places, alcoves, overhangs etc, not obviously visible in your
- Please provide us with photographs taken with your back to each room corner, facing toward the diagonally opposing corner.(sample photos: https://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/sample-remote-survey-stills/ ). If your ceiling is particularly high or has a number of fittings (lights, ducts etc), please take a second set ofphotographs, angling the camera upwards to include the higher parts of the It is far better to have as many photographs as possible as this will make the process of arranging the layout of panels much easier.
- A short video (sample video: https://www.woollyshepherd.co.uk/remote-survey-sample-video/ ) , walking around the space, talking as you walk and panning up at the ceiling from time to time, to show any fittings such as lights and ducting. Although optional, this will be extremely useful in showing what the issues areand the worst affected areas. These videos can then be sent via: https://wetransfer.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any measured reverberation data that you have from an acoustic report, where someone has measured the reverberation with a sound meter.
- The main activities that the space will be used for.
- How would you describe the current problem (what made you seek help)?
- Please indicate on a scale of 1 – 10, 10 being very important, 1 being not important at all, as to how important speech intelligibility/clarity is to you.
- Full contact details including telephone numbers for future/ongoing
- Details of the person/organization you wish the report and quotation to be addressed to (this must include a full postal address for delivery/installation costs)
- Are there any of our products that you would specifically like us to quote for? e.g. clouds, stone circles, rectangles or ellipses.
- Please indicate whether you would like us to install the products for you, or whether you intend to make your own arrangements. (Full instructions are provided in our installation manual).
N.B We have been testing a new app for Apple phones which we have used side by side with our sound meter and found the results, thus far, to be very accurate.
If you could download the application (free of charge with no subscription) it would be very helpful for us to know the results.
Apple version: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/clapreverb/id1407467855
Please note if you send plans to show layouts, these must be annotated with the actual dimensions as requested above.
We appreciate that this may seem a lot of information to request from you, but in order to produce an accurate remote assessment, it is vital that we know as much as possible about the space in question.
Payment for surveys
If you choose the remote survey option, we ask that you notify us as soon as you have made your donation toenable us to forward your report and quotation to you.
If you choose an onsite survey, we will email an invoice to you as soon as it is booked. The invoice will be marked for immediate payment and we ask that, where possible, this is paid prior to our technician’s visit. We appreciate that in instances where surveys are booked at short notice this may not always be possible in which case, we askthat payment is received prior to the issue of your report and quotation.