There are a number of reasons why we chose to brand our products as Woolly Shepherd Natural Acoustics. Perhaps the most obvious is the fact that we use only ‘natural’ fibres in the making of our products. However, we feel that the term natural acoustics is also very apt for two further reasons.
Whilst we have not yet been able to commission a formal study to compare people’s perceptions of natural vs. manmade fibres, our customer feedback definitely highlights a perception of peace and calm brought about by the introduction of our products.
- “You notice the dampened and softened feel of the sounds as soon as you walk in the restaurant – it is really pleasant – almost soothing” Sandie Coxill, Facilities Service Manager, Met Office, Exeter.
- “All classes now use the hall and the stress levels have all but disappeared, and the children love looking at the clouds above them.” Mrs Susan Richardson, Business Manager, Herons Dale School, West Sussex.
- “The staff are reporting that they are feeling the benefits in their stress levels as well.” Rosemarie Allum, Visitor reception team leader, National Trust Kingston Lacy.
- “I think it’s made a real difference to the general ambience in the room” Jade Arnold, Restaurant Manager, National Trust, Killerton House.
- “Just walking through the room is more relaxing, less tinny and cosier” Amy Whitmore, Owner, Noahs Ark Inn, West Sussex.
Finally, we use the term natural acoustics because our company’s whole approach to business and to the products and services that we provide comes very naturally to us. We have not just jumped on the sustainability/green/eco/environmental bandwagon. Our company was formed by three individuals with a proven track record in the implementation of sustainable practice in mainstream business stretching back over the past 15 – 20 years.
The Woolly Shepherd has used the unique properties of UK-grown wool in combination with wood fibre to create high performance alternatives to the standard mineral fibre and foam based products produced by almost every other manufacturer in the world.
Whilst there are many good reasons to make acoustic absorbers out of foam and mineral wool, we firmly believe that by using fibres that are grown in the natural environment we can support much more than just our future income.
However, we are very aware that all of this would mean so much less if the performance and price of our products did not match those of our competitors. We have always striven to ensure that when you consider our products you are able to compare like for like. That is why we test all of our absorbers in accordance with BS EN ISO 354:2003 “Acoustics – Measurement of sound absorption in a reverberation room" and take great pride in quoting performance data that is equal to and sometimes even superior to that produced using mineral wool and foam. Combine this with the fact that our product pricing is amongst the most competitive in the industry and there can be no doubt that Natural Acoustics is the choice to make.
All of our standard products such as clouds, wall panels and limpets are Class A absorbers.